National Night Out will be celebrated at four Kenosha locations and one in Twin Lakes from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday (Aug. 6).
National Night Out is a national effort to build awareness of and strengthen participation in local anti-crime efforts. Kenosha County Executive Jim Kreuser said the aim is to promote positive relationships between law enforcement, other public service agencies and the public.
The Kenosha locations are: The Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha, 1330 52nd St.; Lincoln Park, 6900 18th Ave.; St. John’s Lutheran Church, 3833 Eighth Ave.; and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and Spirit Alive, 8760 37th Ave.
The Twin Lakes event, organized separately by the Twin Lakes Police Department, will take place at St. John’s Catholic Church, 701 N. Lake Ave. in Twin Lakes.
Each location will feature food, games, activities, prizes and entertainment. At the Kenosha events, there will also be community resource tables with information from agencies including the Kenosha Unified School District, the Racine-Kenosha Community Action Agency, the Kenosha County Division of Health, Holiday House, the Kenosha Community Health Center and many more.
The Lincoln Park event will feature free backpacks supplied by Greater Mount Hebron Church, plus a mobile food pantry sponsored by 1HOPE and free haircuts for children. The Boys & Girls Club event will have free backpacks supplied by PLS Loan Store and free children’s haircuts provided by Faded Barbershop for Men.
The St. John’s and St. Paul’s locations will offer school supplies donated by Herzing University. St. John’s will also have a giveaway of footballs autographed by NFL stars Trae Waynes and Melvin Gordon, both Kenosha natives.
Admission is free. All children must be accompanied by an adult to participate in the National Night Out event.
MacWhyte Hot Shots make music
The MacWhyte Hot Shots were photographed in the mid-20th century.
Main Street in 1875
This is a view of the west side of Main Street in 1875. The stores at this time on Main Street included: F.W. Lyman and Son, shoes; English Brothers, meat; Paul Sauber, groceries; F. Robinson, drugs; Wm. E. Reed, jewelry; S.C. Johnson, books; James Mathews, groceries; Dewey and Sinclair, hardware. The three-story building with the trussed roof is Kimball Hall.
Salvation Army Hall in 1925
Salvation Army Hall was located at 160 Park Street (57th Street). The photograph was taken circa 1925.
Chicago and North Western engine No. 608 was photographed by Ben LaMarsh in Kenosha on July 4, 1889, before it left on its regular run to Chicago. The pictures on the front of the engine are of presidents of the United States.
Lathrop Burgess home
The Lathrop Burgess home was built in 1838 at the Brass Ball Corners in Salem. The following year it was moved on skids about a mile north into the town of Brighton.
Working at AMC
Workers assemble vehicle parts at the AMC factory in the 1950s.
A captain and his ship
Capt. Robert Symmonds poses with a model he built during the winter months in the latter days of his life. Symmonds sailed the Great Lakes form 1856 until he retired in 1899. He came to Kenosha from Holland, Mich., in 1868. His last boats hailing from Kenosha were the Contest and the Wolverine. Symmonds died in 1916.
Dr. Nelson Pennoyer of Kenosha Water Cure
Dr. Nelson Pennoyer graduated from medical college in 1870 and operated the Kenosha Water Cure with his father. The Kenosha Water Cure later became the Pennoyer Sanitarium.
Northwestern Drapery Co. in 1941
The one-story brick building located on the corner of 58th Street and Eighth Avenue was occupied by Northwestern Drapery Co. It was built by the W.H. Alford estate. The photograph was taken in May 1941.
Simmons Beach bath house
The Simmons Beach bath house was photographed in 1940. The building was constructed in 1934 of common brick, most of which was from the old tannery buildings, Lannon stone, rough timber and a stone slate roof. The building consisted of four comfort stations, a life guard room, a concession room and a first aid room.
People gather for the laying of the cornerstone of the American Legion Home, 504 58th St., which took place on Sunday, July 31, 1938.
General store in Somers
Bullamore Brothers General Merchandise Store was located near the station and main line of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Pacific Railroad in Somers. The refrigerator cars on the loading tracks were used to transport cabbage, sugar beets and other produce from area farms. The U.S. Post Office was also located within the store.
Elks Club in 1908
These Elks Club members were photographed in 1908 in the Lodge Room on the second floor of the building located on Wisconsin Street, 611 58th St. today. The building was built in 1839 and named “Young America.”
Thomas J. Dale rides his bicycle in Canada in 1886. The price of the bicycle, which boasted a nickel-plate finish, was $150. The large wheel was 52 inches in diameter. Dale was a watchmaker and came to Kenosha in 1896.
Flying the flags
A Kenosha home displays a number of American flags in this photo, likely taken between 1896 and 1908 because the flags have 45 stars.
The J.G. Gottfredsen home
This is the interior of the J.G. Gottfredsen home in Kenosha, taken sometime between 1880 and 1914. The Gottfredsen family operated a brewery and general store approximately at 50th Street and Seventh Avenue, about where Marina Gardens is today. It operated from about 1858 through the 1890s. Jacob G. Gottfredsen lived in the house at Seventh Avenue and 61st Street, the painted brick Italianate on the southwest corner.
Caroline (Carpenter) Frank
This is a photo of Mrs. Michael Frank (Caroline Carpenter), taken between 1880 and 1895. Not much is known about Mrs. Frank. According to her husband’s autobiography, they married in September 1837 in Virgil, N.Y., and she was the eldest daughter of a business acquaintance. She died in March 1895.
Downtown Kenosha in 1898
This photo, taken May 12, 1898, is of downtown Kenosha looking north on Main Street (Sixth Avenue) from the bend at what is now 59th Street. In the distance on the left is Ames Clothing, which was at 273 Main St., or 5730 Sixth Ave.
Running in the ‘Turkey Trot’ in 1907
Runners take part in an early “Turkey Trot,” a 5-mile race sponsored by the YMCA, in this photo from 1907. It is believed to be the second Turkey Trot, as the first one is recorded as taking place in 1906. The Telegraph-Courier of Dec. 5, 1907, reported that Fred Smith won the race with a time of 30:31. Smith also won the 1906 race. The race began at the YMCA building on Main and South (Sixth Avenue at 59th Street) and appears to have followed a route north across the Main Street bridge, and then looped back south again across the bridge, to end at the YMCA. Smith is reported to have kept in sight of the leader until the last block and then raced ahead to take the race by a margin of 2 seconds.
High school reunion
A high school class celebrates its 15-year reunion in this photo taken July 10, 1895, at the Calkins Home on Third Avenue, near Kemper Hall. The group, including friends and families, was feted by Mrs. Calkins and Mrs. Saunders. Mrs. Saunders (Harriet Lusk, before marriage) was the wife of Dr. Saunders and a member of the class of 1850.
Join the parade!
Floats and walkers form a parade in front of the N.R. Allen’s Sons Co., circa 1918.
A Jeffery Quad truck is tested by hauling hay bales up a 49 percent grade incline. The photograph was taken between 1913 and 1916.
Fourth of July in 1885
The July Fourth parade in 1885 gives a view of the west side of Martin Street, between Wisconsin Avenue and Market Street. The marshal on the horse is Fred C. Stemm and pictured is the National Band. (Photograph by B. LaMarsh, slide by C.E. Dewey.)
The office of D.B. Bennedict
This photo of the office of D.B. Bennedict was taken between 1896 and 1903. D.B. Bennedict served as the register of deeds from 1870 to 1871 and then county clerk for the next 14 years.
Jefferys out for a ride
Thomas Jeffery and his wife, Kate, ride in the back of a Rambler, circa 1907.
Storing hides at the tannery
An overview of a hide cellar at the N.R. Allen’s Sons Tannery is shown here. The tannery received approximately 1,500 hides daily. The cellar stored between 150,000 to 180,000 hides before delivering them to the beam houses, where they would be cleaned before tanning. The photograph was taken circa 1910.
At the Paddock family farm
A man plays a clarinet on a pier as a woman sits in a rowboat at the Paddock family farm. The Paddock family settled between what is now known as Paddock Lake and Hooker Lake in the late 1830s. In 1843, Dr. Francis Paddock acquired nearly 300 acres of land and established the first medical practice in the area. The photograph was taken between 1880 and 1914.
Kenosha harbor in 1900
A view of the harbor at the time of the dedication of the Simmons Library. The library opened on May 30, 1900.
Take a hike
YMCA hikers pose for a photograph as they erect a tent. The photograph was taken between 1880 and 1914.
The Simmons home
The home of Zalmon G. Simmons in 1908. The Simmons home was located on the southeast corner of Congress and Prairie (10th Ave and 60th Street), where the First United Methodist Church stands today.