You are the owner of this article.
Chicago man pleads guilty to sexual assault at Kenosha Metra Station
top story

Chicago man pleads guilty to sexual assault at Kenosha Metra Station

Alvin Linton III

Alvin Linton III

A Chicago man pleaded guilty Wednesday to sexually assaulting a woman at the Kenosha Metra Station after she had stopped to offer him help.

Alvin Linton III, 33, pleaded guilty Wednesday to second-degree sexual assault with use of force. As part of his plea agreement, prosecutors dropped a strangulation charge.

Linton was charged after Kenosha Police were called to the Metra station, 5414 13th Ave., on May 13 for a report of a sexual assault.

At the station, they found a 30-year-old woman “crying to the point of gagging” who was being helped by two other women. One of the other women told police she had called 911; the other told police she had information about the suspect.

The victim told police she was walking to a business downtown at about 9:30 a.m. and had cut through the train station area when a stranger — later identified as Linton — approached and asked if he could use her phone.

She allowed him to use the phone. He made a call and was speaking to someone when he asked the woman to help him up the stairs to the train platform, saying he was dizzy.

As she started to help him up the stairs, according to the criminal complaint, “the man took off his red shirt and wrapped it around her neck. He then pulled the shirt tight against her neck, constricting her breathing and making her unable to yell for help.”

The woman told police the man pushed her down on the stairs and sexually assaulted her.

Security video from the station showed the woman and a man later identified as Linton walking up the stairs together before disappearing off video.

A short time later, Linton is seen coming down the stairs by himself. About 15 seconds later, the woman is seen coming down the steps crying.

One of the women at the train station identified Linton as the person who assaulted the woman, telling police she had been on the phone with him when the assault occurred.

She said while on the phone with him she could hear a woman saying, “Why are you doing this?” and “I tried to help you.”

She said she rushed to the train station to find out what was going on. When she arrived, she found the woman crying, the complaint states.

About 40 minutes after the assault was reported, the same woman who identified Linton as the suspect called police to say she had just dropped off Linton near a bus stop and gave police the location. He was taken into custody there.

Linton is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 23. He could be sentenced to up to 25 years in prison.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.