A juvenile who reportedly wrote a note threatening to “shoot up this school 5th Grade” in a bathroom at Salem Grade School last week has been identified and been referred for charges by the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department.
The juvenile suspect is being referred to Kenosha County Juvenile Intake and the Kenosha County District Attorney’s Office for a charge of making a terrorist threat.
The original incident was reported on Wednesday and an extensive investigation continued for several days, officials said.
The motive remains unclear as to why the message was written.
The student has been released to parents and the Salem School District will be following its student discipline code of conduct in addressing the incident.
“The Sheriff’s Department as well as Salem Grade School took these comments very seriously and acted upon them appropriately,” said sheriff’s department public information officer Sgt. Chris Hannah in a prepared statement.
After a threatening note was found in a women’s bathroom stall at Salem School, students were put on lockdown in their classrooms Wednesday morning until investigators declared it was not a credible threat.
School officials discovered the handwritten note in the morning after school started for the day and called the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department, according to Connie Valenza, interim district superintendent at Salem.
She said the school notified the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department they had found the note at about 9:30 a.m.
“Our protocol, if we are unable to verify if a threat exists, we would immediately put our students on lockdown, and we would immediately contact the authorities to assist us, and that’s what we did,” she said. “They were the leads in determining if the threat was credible or not credible.”
After about two hours, the sheriff’s department determined the threat was not credible, and Salem resumed its regular school day.
Get local news delivered to your inbox!
Subscribe to our Daily Headlines newsletter.