Kenosha council yanks MVP Sports Bar's cabaret license

Kenosha council yanks MVP Sports Bar's cabaret license

{{featured_button_text}}

A local sports bar that was the recent site of a shooting will not be permitted to host DJs or any other live events, based on a decision handed down Monday.

On a 14-0 vote, the City Council revoked the cabaret license that had been issued to MVP Sports Bar, 3214 60th St. Such licenses are required for live entertainment.

The council’s vote comes on the heels of a June 30 shooting at the bar that left a 28-year-old Kenosha man in critical condition.

On the night of the incident, people inside the bar reportedly rushed to try to get out when the shots were fired, causing a crush of people at the doorway.

Ald. Patrick Juliana, who serves on the city’s Licenses and Permits Committee, said the council’s vote puts business owners across the city on notice.

“We have to send a message from where we’re at,” Juliana said.

Juliana and the three other committee members in attendance at a meeting immediately before the council met conferred with legal counsel before rendering their recommendation, which passed on a 4-0 vote.

The council’s decision to revoke the license ran in contrast to the affirmative ruling for RedZone Sports Bar & Grill.

Council president Anthony Kennedy, who sits on the committee, said there is a distinction between the two establishments.

For RedZone, Kennedy said there have been strides to improve the situation. However, he said the same level of clear commitment has not been demonstrated at MVP.

“We need to take each situation, case by case,” Kennedy said. “We have to be real careful.”

Ald. Dominic Ruffalo, who also sits on the committee, said he believed the revocation of the license was a sound decision, particularly in light of the June 30 shooting.

Recounting reports of local law enforcement being overtaxed and the chaotic scene in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Ruffalo described the situation as “heart-wrenching, just heart-wrenching.”

For his part, Darnell Rand, manager of MVP, said he and others overseeing operations at the bar “take full responsibility” for the incidents that have occurred and are exploring steps to improve circumstances.

“MVP Sports Bar is doing everything that we possibly can to protect the citizens,” Rand said.

Speaking to the recent shooting, Rand said the incident ran afoul quickly.

“Everybody has to understand that the incident that happened — we had no clue,” he said.

Moving forward, Rand said MVP is going to make additional investments in security, cameras and metal detectors.

“Whatever it takes to make that area safe — that’s what we’re going to do,” Rand said. “This is going to be a good bar — a great bar — to go to in the near future.”

MVP is still permitted to serve alcoholic beverages and remain open.

0
2
0
0
3

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics