You are the owner of this article.
Phones seized, mother held briefly as investigation continues into jury tampering allegations

Phones seized, mother held briefly as investigation continues into jury tampering allegations


Martice Fuller appears in Judge Mary Wagner’s courtroom in this file photo from Jan. 8. His trial has been postponed until May due to allegations of jury tampering.

Kenosha Police are continuing to investigate allegations of jury tampering in the Martice Fuller homicide case.

Fuller, 16, was scheduled to go to trial Monday for the shooting death of his former girlfriend, 15-year-old Kaylie Juga, and for shooting and injuring the girl’s mother.

But before opening statements began in the morning, District Attorney Michael Graveley informed the court that over the weekend Fuller had talked to three relatives on the phone in recorded jail phone calls, asking them to contact several jurors on his behalf, referring to jurors by name.

Judge Mary K. Wagner called off the trial, postponing it until May when a new jury would be seated.

Graveley said Tuesday that police are investigating the jury tampering allegations.

“We’re seeing what else there is other than the phone calls,” Graveley said.

He said in the recorded calls, people Fuller spoke to appear to have agreed to his requests to try to make contact.

“But then when that was followed up with people, they said they did not act on that (request),” Graveley said.

Communicating with jurors is a felony that carries a maximum prison sentence of 18 months.

As part of the investigation, Kenosha Police served warrants for phones Monday.

Fuller’s mother was briefly taken into custody Monday afternoon because “she did not readily give up the phone,” said Kenosha Police Lt. Joseph Nosalik.

He said police plan to recommend misdemeanor charges for obstructing police because she did not immediately turn over the phone.

He said the recommended charge was related only to her actions with police regarding turning over the phone, not regarding any actions with the jury.

Fuller is charged with first-degree intentional homicide, attempted first-degree intentional homicide and burglary while armed. Juvenile defendants in homicides and attempted homicides are automatically charged as adults.

He is now scheduled to go to trial May 11.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.