Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Somers home damaged by fire

Somers home damaged by fire

somers fire department logo

A family of four escaped unharmed from a house fire in Somers early Thursday.

The Somers Fire Department was called to the home, 908 Sheridan Road, at about 2:08 a.m. When firefighters arrived, the family, including two children, was already out of the house and smoke was pouring from inside.

An adult man from the family was taken to a local hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Fire Chief Carson Wilkinson said the fire began in an upstairs bedroom, and firefighters were able to contain the fire to that room.

Support Local Journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.

He said there was smoke damage throughout the house, with damage to the structure estimated at about $30,000 and about $5,000 to the contents of the home.

“The guys did a good job of containing the fire,” Wilkinson said.

He said there was one smoke detector in the home.

He said it was not sounding when firefighters arrived, but one of the children in the house said it had been working and had alerted them.

Wilkinson said the cause of the fire appears to have been from smoking materials in the bedroom.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

News Alert