Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
AP
What Others Say

WATCH NOW/Editorial: Truth and consequences: At long last, Alex Jones is held to account

Alex Jones Loses , Against Sandy Hook Families , in Defamation Case. On Nov. 15, Connecticut Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis ruled in favor of the families who sued the InfoWars host. Jones was being sued for claiming that the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting was staged. In 2019, he acknowledged that the shooting was real and said a "form of psychosis" led him to form his previous opinion. . Judge Bellis found Jones and his entities to be liable by default for failing to comply with the discovery process. Chris Mattei of the firm the represented the plaintiffs, Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, . said the families "remain focused on uncovering the truth" pertaining to how Jones and his companies make money from what they publish. Mr. Jones was given every opportunity to comply but, when he chose instead to withhold evidence for more than two years, the Court was left with no choice but to rule as it did today. , Chris Mattei, Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, via CNN. While today's ruling is a legal victory, the battle to shed light on how deeply Mr. Jones has harmed these families continues, Chris Mattei, Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, via CNN. A hearing in damages will take place next to determine what will be paid to the plaintiffs. . A hearing in damages will take place next to determine what will be paid to the plaintiffs.

In our dispiriting time of widespread, never-ending, and hyper-charged disinformation and conspiracy theorizing — which has driven millions of Americans to reject the life-saving COVID vaccine or accept falsehoods about stolen elections — it is very rare for peddlers of harmful fabrications to see a shred of justice.

That’s what makes it extra sweet to see ghoul Alex Jones, a proud pioneer of lies who has spent decades slinging wild accusations to millions for financial profit and political gain, to finally be held to account for the hateful and harmful garbage he spews. The Nov. 16 Connecticut court ruling means that the demented conspiracist has now lost all four defamation cases brought against him by family members of children killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, where a gunman with an assault rifle massacred 20 first graders and six adults.

Alex Jones

Jones

With the horrifying crime scene still fresh and the nation reeling over an unspeakable atrocity, the detestable radio host launched into ludicrous rants claiming that the shooting had been staged and the people involved were “crisis actors,” phony claims which led to his gullible supporters hounding grieving parents in the vilest terms imaginable. When it became clear that legal consequences were possible, Jones tried to walk his comments back, but it was too late.

Ever the contrarian, he still refused to turn over documents related to the suit, causing his loss by default. Even better. He won’t get to use the courts as a stage to continue the sideshow and cause these families more pain. After years of spouting sewage without significant repercussions, even being rewarded for it with fame and the support of Donald Trump, Jones will get hit in the only place he seems to truly care about: his wallet.

The final amount that this parasite will have to pay will be decided next year by juries of his peers, if there are such people. As to the dollar number, we hope it’s, as he might say, outrageous.

Catch the latest in Opinion

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alert